So we caught the project bug today and decided to add the transmission cooler to the Xterra to help keep the transmission fluid cool when towing the Dutchess. This held a priority position on the pre-trip car work list. We got cracking about 1:30pm.
B&M 70264 SuperCooler Automatic Transmission Cooler from Amazon
It had all the right features and at about $60 it was a good deal:
* Rigid stacked-plate design is resistant to damage, and much better at cooling than ordinary ‘fin and tube’ coolers
* Constructed from black finished lightweight aluminum alloy for maximum corrosion resistance
* 11″ x 5-3/4″ x 1-1/2″ model is rated at 14,400 BTU, and pressure tested to 200 PSI
* Includes installation kit
* Backed by the manufacturer with a 1 year limited warranty
The nice part also is that it only works when the transmission is hot and the fluid needs cooling.
This forum post helped with th install and it went fairly smoothly.
Here is the final product: